SEARCH

Uncovering Paris In A Day!


6 August 2010. Paris was the last city I visited before flying back to Madrid. Boarded from Pisa Airport at 16:30, I arrived in Paris Beauvais Airport 2 hours later. The budget airline like Ryan Air, which I flew with, doesn’t stop in Charles de Gaulle Airport. Beauvais is located approximately 85 km from Paris. The only way to reach Paris from this airport is by taking a bus which is available in the airport parking area after every flight arrival. It’s not difficult to find the coach, you will simply notice it as you walk out from the airport terminal.

It will take 1 hour and 15 minutes to reach the city, so my ETA in Paris would be around 20:00. The driver noticed something wrong with the bus after 30 minutes of driving. He stopped and tried to fix it. At the end, we had to wait for a bus replacement for 30 minutes. My real ETA in Paris was 20:30.


My original plan was to stop at Place de la Concorde before going to the hostel. I canceled it. I didn’t like the idea to find the hostel when the night had come. Even though I felt bad to drop a plan to see Obelisque, but I guess I took the right decision. The sun began to set as I arrived in the hostel at 21:00.

I met two Indonesian girls in the hostel while waiting to get my key. After a few conversations, found out they studied in Holland. If my memory serves me right, they said that they would stay in Paris for four days. They looked surprise when I told them that I had just arrived and the next day would be my last day in Paris.

I got a roommate from Canada. She would stay for a week. “What? You can only visit Eiffel Tower then!”, she commented after I told her that I would only had one day to explore Paris.

7 August 2010. I woke up early while my roommate was still somewhere in her dream. Because the breakfast was not ready yet, I went out to explore a place near the hostel. I read in my map that The Sacre-Coeur is one of the tourist attraction located near my hostel area. It lies in Montmartre hill. I walked through the streets that would lead me to the basilica, but it was nowhere to be found. I decided to go back to the hostel after spending almost one hour without any luck. The chance to see the morning view of Paris from the highest point of the city could not be realized. On my way back to the hostel, I began to notice one reason why people consider Paris as one the beautiful city in the world. Most of windows and balcony in the building were adorned with the colorful flowers. It really gave a beauty look to the city.

I met the two girls again in the breakfast room. I asked them if they wanted to join me exploring Paris, but they had Versailles on their itinerary. Versailles is 20km away from Paris. Initially, it was a hunting lodge built by King Louis XIII. His son, Louis XIV transformed it into a palace during his period. It served as royal residence until Louis XVI regime. The palace is very large. I guess it would need a day to explore it, that’s why it’s not possible for me to visit. I waved good-bye to them as well as to my Canadian roommate as I finished breakfast and left the hostel to begin my own journey.

My first destination was Notre-Dame. I took metro from the hostel and got off in Saint-Michel station, the nearest station to get there. As I went up and out from the station, I arrived in a square with a fountain that has a statue of Saint Michel hitting the devil. It depicts the glory of the good over the evil. At first, the idea was to put Napoleon's statue in the central of the fountain but it got rejection from some of Napoleon’s opponent.

Saint-Michel Square - Seine River - Palais de Justice
From the Saint-Michel square, I walked through the bridge crossing the Seine River. I passed Palais de Justice on my way to Notre-Dame. What attracted me the most from this palace was the big and luxurious gate. The courd’honneur, that’s a name of the gate. Black dominates the color of the gate, but some parts of it are painted in gold to give spacious look. Before Marie Antoinette was executed, she was imprisoned in the Conciergerie which was a part of this palace.

Notre-Dame
After a few steps from the palace, I finally arrived in Notre-Dame. There is a small island in Seine River, which is situated exactly in the heart of Paris called “Île de la Cité”. Notre-dame is located at eastern-end of this island. The kilometer zero of Paris is located across the cathedral and marked with bronze stars sign. Notre-Dame means “Our Lady”, as it was constructed as a dedication to Virgin Mary. It has three main big entrances in the west façade. The three massive rose windows in the west, north, and south transept are among other beautiful masterpieces can be seen in this French gothic style cathedral. I didn’t enter the cathedral even though it’s actually free. I heard you can witness a stunning view of Paris from Galerie des Chimères (Dreams Gallery) if you climb the spiraling 422 stairs.

From Notre-dame, I walked through the bridge crossing the Seine River once again. I stopped at the kiosk at the corner of the street to buy some postcards. I continued walking and stopped in Place de la Sorbonne. This square is surrounded by the fountain and the historical building which once housed the second oldest university in the world ‘University of Paris’.

Pantheon
Not far from Place de la Sorbonne lies the famous Pantheon. It was originally a church built during King Louis XV regime that was dedicated to St. Genevieve. It served as a church until 1791 as the National Constituent Assembly requested the building to be used as mausoleum for the burial of the great Frenchman. “AUX GRANDSHOMMES LA PATRIE RECONNAISSANTE” is written above the entrance. The words means “To the great men, the grateful homeland”. Honoré Gabriel Riqueti, comte de Mirabeau became the first person buried inside the Pantheon. Rousseau, Victor Hugo, Voltaire, Louis Braille, and Marie Curie were among the famous who were buried there.

Next stop was Jardin du Luxembourg. It’s around 15 minutes walking from Pantheon. The garden of 22.5 hectare, the second largest in Paris, was built based on the idea of King Louis XIII’s mother ‘Marie de Medici’. The style of the garden was inspired by The Boboli Garden in Florence where she spent her youth time. At the northern end of the garden, lies the Palais du Luxembourg which was also constructed in Italian style. However, at the end she didn’t get the time to enjoy her idea as she was banished by Richelieu two years before the palace was completed.

Jardin du Luxembourg
There is a pool in front of the palace. I saw a few people playing remote control boats in the pool. Some others had chit-chat with their friend and family while sitting on the benches and chairs spread around the garden. The colorful flowers are planted everywhere around the palace. The beautiful of Jardin du Luxembourg is truly breathtaking. It offers a feast for the eyes, that’s why spending your leisure time there is absolutely one of a nice thing to do.

From Jardin du Luxembourg, my journey continued to one of a must-visit museum in Paris, The Louvre. It is considered one of world’s greatest museum that displays thousands collections of many great artists including the famous Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa. Dan Brown stated in his book “Da Vinci Code” that the face of Mona Lisa looks androgynous. Based on his theory, Mona Lisa looks more majestic from the left than the right. Another speculation believed that Mona Lisa was actually the woman version of Leonardo himself. Well, the copy of Mona Lisa could easily be found in the internet nowadays, but to see the real one would give another experience. However I had to turn down the opportunity. Lots of people queuing for the entrance ticket while in fact I didn’t have much time left to explore Paris.

The Louvre
I decided to just look around in the museum courtyard. I felt I was in two different time-zone, past and future. That was the first feeling I got when I entered to the courtyard. The palace was designed in classical architecture while the pyramids give the futuristic looks. The palace which houses the museum was built in the end of 12th century on the order of King Philip II. The palace now has the rectangular structure. The pyramids was began to be constructed in 1984 as an alternative entrance to the museum because the original one was no longer able to accommodate the large number of visitors each day. There are four pyramids: the large one and three smaller ones. There is a conspiracy said that the number of the glass panes on the largest pyramid is 666, which is claimed as the number of Satan. But the Louvre museum denies that and states that it actually consists of 673 glass panes (603 rhombi and 70 triangles). The pyramid is flank by the pools with fountains. Many people just sat on the marble of the pool barrier enjoying the day. Me too, enjoying my few minutes left while observing the surrounding.

My next stop after Louvre was Eiffel Tower. You haven’t completely visited Paris without going to Eiffel even though actually you can see the top part of it from all over Paris. The tower, designed by Gustave Eiffel, was originally built for 1889 World’s Fair to celebrate the centenary of French Revolution. It was meant to be dismantled 20 years after the exhibition, but The City of Paris decided to keep it as it can serves as a communication tower. The tower still stands solidly until today and has become the icon of Paris. Without Eiffel, Paris might be just an ordinary city.
There is a park called Parc du Champ de Mars in front of the tower. Some people sat on the park benches, while some others laid down on the grass. Some were amused by the show being performed by the street artists. I could also witness some couples were enjoying their afternoon. It seemed that they didn’t want to miss a chance to have a date in one of the most romantic place in the world. What about me? I was busy taking pictures.

Arc De Triomphe was the last place to visit in my itinerary. It is the triumphal arch situated at the western-end of Champs-Élysées. It was erected right in the middle of Place Charles de Gaulle, a rounded square which branches into 12 streets. There is a pedestrian underpass available to reach the arch because it’s too dangerous to cross the street.

Napoleon Bonaparte instructed the construction of the triumphal arch in 1806 to commemorate his victories, as well to honor those who fought and died for France during the French Revolution. There are four main reliefs adorn the pillars of the arch: La Depart de 1792 (La Marseillaise), Le Triomphe de 1810, La Resistence de 1814, and La Paix de 1815. The first two reliefs facing to Champs-Élysées are the most famous. La Depart is a dedication to the volunteers (French people) who were rallying against enemies from a foreign nation. The Roman Goddess of War, Bellona, featured in the relief to rouse the patriotism of the French citizens. Le Triomphe is a tribute to many victories gained by Napoleon Bonaparte. The relief depicts Napoleon being crowned with laurel wreath by the Roman Goddess of Victory, Victoria. His victory to conquer many lands is showed by people who surrendered at his feet and a historian who wrote all of those triumphs in a stone tablet. A woman who blows a trumpet is meant to show his fame. La Resistence features the Roman Goddess of Future, Antevorte, who encourage a soldier to defend their family. La Paix means peace, depicts the peacefulness after the defeat of Napoleon. The peacefulness is depicted with a man who put his swords back into his scabbard and the peasants who can work on their normal daily activity. Minerva, the Roman Goddess of Wisdom, featured to give a protection to them.

Arc de Triomphe
The top of the arch was engraved with 30 shields, each of them is inscribed with the name of the battle had won by Napoleon. Beneath the arch is a grave for the Unknown Soldiers who died for France during World War. “Ici repose un soldatfrancais mort pour la patrie. 1914. 1918. (Here lies a French Soldier who died for his fatherland. 1914. 1918.)”, is written on the tomb.

The shuttle bus to Beauvais Airport parked in Porte Maillot. It’s not that far from Place Charles de Gaulle, that’s the reason why I put Arc de Triomphe as the last destination in my itinerary. I could take Metro to reach Porte Maillot, but I preferred to walk through Av. De la Grande Armée enjoying my last time to breathe the air of Paris.

For the conclusion, I couldn’t say it’s the best trip I have ever had. Not that I don’t like the city, it just I couldn’t enjoy my trip as I only had a little time to spend in every place I stopped. I couldn’t lay down my body on the grass in Eiffel’s park to enjoy the afternoon. I couldn’t observe the mystery hidden in Mona Lisa painting. Even sadly, I couldn’t visit The Versailles to imagine how Marie Antoinette lived her life inside a luxurious palace. Is it a sign to return to Paris one day? Hmmm…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments